It's time to reward yourself with some "GOOD EATS"

Monday, November 19, 2012

I was out of Sausage

I really wanted to make some link sausage, But had been doing other things and was kinda tired.
 Had my pork already out of the freezer and thawed. So I says, OK make pan sausage, and I did. The recipe I used was new to me. But it looked good and was easy to make. It is pretty good sausage.
Here is the recipe:

Homemade Sausage Recipe


  • 5# of pork shoulder butt
  • 2 Tb. Purified salt. Kosher salt may also be used.
  • 1.5 Tb. Pepper Flakes
  • 1 Tb. Sage (rubbed or ground)
  • 1½ tsp. Ginger
  • 1 ½ tsp. Nutmeg
  • 1 ½ tsp. Thyme
Dissolve all seasonings in 1-1 1/2 cups ice water.
My notes, do not remove the fat: Fat should be 2 to 1 meat to fat ratio.
Run meat through grinder twice using course plate.
Add spices to water and mix with ground pork.

 I used my meat mixer, it does a good job but is hard to clean up.
If you want more than 5# just multiply ingredients. I made 20 pounds.
And I forgot to take a photo before packaging.
Ground Pork:
Freezer Ready:

No comments: